Portcullis Property Lawyers

Traditional Values with a Modern Approach

Town & Country Planning

  • A summary of the  current use classes in the UCO 1987

The use classes are:

  • Class A1: shops (where the sale, display or services are provided principally to visiting members of the public).

Post offices, travel agencies, hairdressers, funeral directors and internet cafés (where the principal purpose of the premises is to provide access to the internet).

  • Class A2: financial and professional services (if the services are provided principally to visiting members of the public).

Banks, building societies, estate agencies and betting offices.

  • Class A3: restaurants and cafés (for consumption of food or drink on the premises).
  • Class A4: drinking establishments.

Public houses and wine bars: places where the primary purpose is the sale and consumption of alcoholic drink on the premises.

  • Class A5: hot food takeaways.

Takeaways and fast food outlets: premises where the primary purpose is the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises. Where the takeaway element is predominant, the existence of tables and chairs within a hot food outlet does not, in itself, make the premises a restaurant.

  • Class B1: business (that can be carried out in a residential area without detriment to the amenity of the area).

Offices and light industrial uses.

  • Class B2: general industrial.

Those industrial uses that do not fall within class B1.

  • Class B8: storage or distribution.

This class is defined by the character of use of the land, not the appearance or description of a building. Retail warehouses where the main purpose is for the sale of goods direct to the public generally fall within class A1 (shops) irrespective of the amount of floor space used for storage.

  • Class C1: hotels.

Hotels, motels, bed and breakfast premises, boarding and guest houses where, in each case, no significant element of care is provided.

  • Class C2: residential institutions.

The provision of residential accommodation and care to people in need of care. Use as a hospital, nursing home, residential school, residential college or residential training centre.

The use also covers residential accommodation for people in need of care due to disability, drug or alcohol dependency and mental disorders.

  • Class C2A: secure residential institutions.

Prisons, young offender institutions, detention centres, secure training centres, custody centres, short term holding centres, secure hospitals, secure local authority accommodation and military barracks.

  • Class C3: dwelling houses (whether or not a sole or main residence) by:
    • (a) A single person or people regarded as forming a single household.
    • (b) Not more than six residents living together as a single household where care is provided for residents.
    • (c) Not more than six residents living together as a single household where no care is provided to residents (other than a use within Class C4).
  • Class C4: houses in multiple occupation.

Dwelling houses occupied by between three and six unrelated occupants who form two or more households and who share basic amenities.

  • Class D1: non-residential institutions.

This class groups together buildings visited by the public for a wide range of purposes on a non-residential basis. The use includes creches, day nurseries, non-residential schools and colleges, museums, libraries, public halls, places of worship and law courts.

  • Class D2: assembly and leisure.

Cinemas, concert halls, bingo halls, dance halls, swimming baths, skating rinks and gymnasiums.

Follow Us On

Our Address

Portcullis Property Lawyers
Suite 11
Dukes House
5-6 High Street

Contact Us

Phone: 01753 621610

Fax: 01753 621550

E-mail: advice@portcullispropertylawyers.co.uk

Website: www.portcullispropertylawyers.co.uk